in

HTTP Notification

Last post 10-10-2006 9:57 AM by DualBrain. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2006 1:07 PM In reply to

Re: HTTP Notification

I hate to throw a possible fly in the ointment, but I am experiencing the repeat posting issue, when posting to my internal IIS server.

I have disabled any posting to Nabaztag, so all my app does is recieve the posts from XBF and writes the data to a log file with a date and time stamp. It does not happen all the time but it has happend at least 3 times in the last few days, and it seems to only happen on launch of XBF. Not sure where to go with this now? It's probably something on my machine or my app, but I am at a loss to understand what...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Trebor

• Post Points: 5
  • 09-17-2006 1:56 PM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

I now hold within my hands a shiny new white rabbit of my very own. (OK, so I don't necessarily own it just yet... but sooon, very soon I will.)

I've now got XBF working directly with it using the HTTP Notifications feature; however, the default behavior of the HTTP Notifications (which you've already discovered) doesn't fit 100% with the white rabbit.  Now that I have one, I'll be working to create a Nabaztag Notifications specific feature (a new tab in the config) that will work similar to HTTP, but have a few enhancements for filtering and such.  In addition, as you've also noticed, there is a need to translate some of the text so it will sound correct when played.  Rather than go the route of retrying the mp3's, I think I'm just going to set the messages to be short lived.

Since the translation feature is obviously something that can easily be shared, I'd love to get a current list of what you have (the dictionary so to speak).

Once I have everything working, I'll post a short video clip showing the nabaztag in action.

Now back to working on getting this thing going...

Cory Smith aka DualBrain
    AddressOf.com - .NET Developer Blog

• Post Points: 37
  • 09-17-2006 8:35 PM In reply to

• HalfBrian
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-18-2006
    • Indiana
    • Posts 48
    • Points 894

DB, did you buy said white rabbit or was it a gift from said white rabbit's parents?

Go to RealmB.com to get your own Xbox Live status image or Friends Table
    • Post Points: 21
  • 09-17-2006 9:40 PM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

You could call it a "conditional" gift.  Right now it's on loan so I can get communicating with it ironed out.
    Cory Smith aka DualBrain

• 09-22-2006 1:11 AM In reply to

Fantastic, hope you have as much fun with it as I have had....

Happy to share my my current lists of translations & help any way I can, the files are in xml format. Where would you like me to send them, or should I post it to here?

Regards

Trebor

• 10-04-2006 8:39 AM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

Trevor, please give .48 a go.  I still need to add the translation layer, but I think what is in there so far is a great start and, as I've been running it for a few days, seems to be pretty cool as the little rabbit barks out the information. ;-)

I will say though that this feature does seem to point out a few holes in their services and I'm going to put together a list of items to send to them.

The list essentially consists of:

1. They really should pass the TTS process into a queue instead of (what appears) trying to TTS it during the web post process... thus delaying the return of the result.  By doing this they could increase the performance and scalability of their site.  It would also allow them to off load the TTS process to any number of machines tasked to process this queue.

2. Reliability.  I've seen two very different sides of this one any given day.  Some days it seamed I got no messages while others (most days) I appear to get every one of them.

3. I'd like to have the ability to specify a message as a 1x play only.  Obviously the ability is there somehow since the "clock" feature does this.  But it doesn't appear that it is available through their SDK.  Essentially what I'd like is for the message to play and not cause the "Nabaztag, the Purple Nosed Rabbit" effect to occur when notifications are sent to it.

As for the translation list, if you want to share with all, then post them in this thread.  Otherwise, you can send them to me via a private message using this site (or contact me via the AddressOf.com site).

Cory Smith aka DualBrain

• 10-10-2006 2:23 AM In reply to

DualBrain,

Have been testing for the last few days, works great. I especially like the way you combine gamer tags into 1 msg, when they come online at the same time.

I agree with your comments about the service & SDK, I too looked for a way to make the msg's 'non-persistant', but that functionality is not available. In regard to the duplication issue, is the delay in response the cause for the previous duplication issue I experienced?

I will send you the list shortly via email.

Once again thanks, and I hope you have as much fun with the rabbit as I have had.

PS. Nabaztag recently announced V2 of the rabbit, with VOIP support and other functions, so if you are considering giving one a home, you might want to delay a short while for the new version.

Trebor

• 10-10-2006 9:57 AM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

After doing bit of testing, it became apparent that an individual message for each notification was a bit much and, by combining them into one, the result sounds much more natural.

As for the duplicates you experienced, yes, the issue was in the unexpected delay encountered with posting to their service.

It is pretty cool to be coding away on the computer and have this thing announce that so-and-so is playing such-and-such... let me know about the weather... tell me the time (which has a couple of issues)... and read to me a few titles from some blogs; such as Major Nelson's.

Cory Smith aka DualBrain

Filed under:
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
XboxFriends is not, in no way, affiliated with Microsoft Corporation, MSN, Xbox or Xbox Live. This project is developed seperately from Microsoft and Xbox Live for the purposes of organizing games amongst your personal Xbox Live friends list and connecting you with other gamers. We will not purposefully share any personal information that you shared. Although every reasonable step is taken to protect your privacy, due to the nature of the internet, XboxFriends.com can not be held responsible for anything that may happen through the use of the XboxFriends desktop application or this website. -- Copyright (c)2004-2007, XboxFriends.com and Cory Smith. All rights reserved.