in

As a Service?

Last post 08-21-2006 12:41 PM by DualBrain. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2006 9:47 AM

As a Service?

What are the chances of being able to run this as a service?  Or, should I juse use sc to try to get your executable to run as a service?

Thanks. 

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 21
  • 08-19-2006 8:07 PM In reply to

• HalfBrian
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-18-2006
    • Indiana
    • Posts 48
    • Points 894

Re: As a Service?

Can I ask why you would want to run it as a service?

Go to RealmB.com to get your own Xbox Live status image or Friends Table
  • 08-21-2006 4:33 AM In reply to

No problem. The reason I want to be able to run this as a service is because I want to have XboxFriends running on my server at all times in order to log my friend's gaming habits on Live.  On my server, I have nothing installed on it that would require me to keep a user logged in and locked on the console, and I want to keep it that way.  I realize that this probably doesn't make sense unless one is a system admin, and even then, my wish may seem a bit crazy.  But, if I were to remote admin a server and reboot it, then I would have to remember to log in as the user that Xboxfriend was running as and start the application again.  But doing so would take up one of the remote administration sessions, and one isn't allowed to have many remote admin sessions open at a time.  I hope my reasoning makes sense.

But, I don't really know how to store the credentials within the XboxFriends application.  Maybe using .Net's impersonization abilities?

• 08-21-2006 7:25 AM In reply to

Why don't you just make a shortcut in the startup folder?  It will basically act the same way.
  • 08-21-2006 7:56 AM In reply to

No it won't.  Having something in a profile's startup does nothing if a user is not logged onto the console.
  • 08-21-2006 12:38 PM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

There are many problems associated with running as a service and you've mentioned a couple of them.  The biggest problem with having a version as a service right now is one of updates... self-updating services are extremely difficult to work with and resources just don't allow for that right now.  However, to accomplish what you are wanting, you could utilize the desktop version (on a home machine) and have it notify a web server of the status changes through the HTTP Notification feature.  You could then utilize this information however you wish.  If you'd like to see an example of this in ASP.NET 2.0, please let me know and I can provide you a rough example that you use as a starting point.
    Cory Smith aka DualBrain
    AddressOf.com - .NET Developer Blog

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 5
  • 08-21-2006 12:41 PM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

And... although I haven't tried it... it might be possible to use one of the "run as service" processes to attempt to force this on the server.  This, of course, wouldn't require a seperate session to accomplish, since it would be running on the server itself.  If I'm not mistaken (it's been a while since I've done this), as soon as you sign in with the account (remotely) that you use for the service, the application will be visible.  Like I said, it's been a while, so I could be wrong on this.
    Cory Smith aka DualBrain
    AddressOf.com - .NET Developer Blog

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
XboxFriends is not, in no way, affiliated with Microsoft Corporation, MSN, Xbox or Xbox Live. This project is developed seperately from Microsoft and Xbox Live for the purposes of organizing games amongst your personal Xbox Live friends list and connecting you with other gamers. We will not purposefully share any personal information that you shared. Although every reasonable step is taken to protect your privacy, due to the nature of the internet, XboxFriends.com can not be held responsible for anything that may happen through the use of the XboxFriends desktop application or this website. -- Copyright (c)2004-2007, XboxFriends.com and Cory Smith. All rights reserved.