in

History & External Notification

Last post 07-27-2006 3:36 PM by DualBrain. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2006 9:33 PM

• Mr Rad
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-23-2006
    • Posts 3
    • Points 47

History & External Notification

Hello,

It'd be nice to get all the info available from the HistoryForm sent using the External Notification option tab.  The external notification feature was real useful on the older version.

• Post Points: 37
  • 07-12-2006 12:05 PM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

Re: History & External Notification

External Notifications are making a *huge* triumphant return in the next release.  I'll definately be looking for feedback on this feature in all it's various forms.

To summarize:

External Notifications are configurable per account and you can filter the friends list per notification type.  So you could have XboxFriends email you on every change, blog about your closest friends and send just those in your "clan" to a clan website where they can use that information for whatever they can think of.

For those familiar with the previous version, external notifications has been beefed up.  Now *all* state changes are active notifications.  Meaning that if you have XboxFriends for the Desktop running, you can notify (through email, blog, or http querystrings) when people come online, change from game to game and (this is the new part) when they go offline (or away).

Email Notifications

Just like it says, send an email for all state changes of those in the filtered friends list.

HTTP Notifications

This one exists in order to assist webmasters think up interesting new ways to utilize XboxFriends for the Desktop and incorporate the Xbox Live friends list state changes accordingly.

Blog It! Notifications

Not really sure of the usefulness of this, but it is soooo geek that it has to be included.  Blogging seems to be at the forefront of everyones mind, so XboxFriends for the Desktop now jumps into the frey and will blog all state changes to any MetaWebLog API supported blog engine.

So what do you guys think of the new features?

Cory Smith aka DualBrain
    AddressOf.com - .NET Developer Blog

• Post Points: 37
  • 07-12-2006 2:00 PM In reply to

• HalfBrian
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-18-2006
    • Indiana
    • Posts 48
    • Points 894

I think that I can't wait for them.

Are the HTTP Notifications RSS? If not, I think they should be (or a new RSS option).

Go to RealmB.com to get your own Xbox Live status image or Friends Table
    • Post Points: 21
  • 07-13-2006 8:40 AM In reply to

• e1bweb
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-23-2006
    • Posts 9
    • Points 189

speaking of rss, if you could do that and have it log all changes to a local xml or something, you would be just a few steps away from having the history information again, but in a format where everyone can just go in and grab it and do what they want with it.

im not sure what this would do performance wise though..

also i would like to apologize, because im not very.. savvy when it comes to rss, and not even sure if its the same thing as xml, but in my mind.. an rss feed is just a regularly updated standardized xml document?

• 07-13-2006 2:23 PM In reply to

• HalfBrian
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-18-2006
    • Indiana
    • Posts 48
    • Points 894

e1bweb:
    an rss feed is just a regularly updated standardized xml document?

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Go to RealmB.com to get your own Xbox Live status image or Friends Table
  • 07-13-2006 4:08 PM In reply to

• Mr Rad
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-23-2006
    • Posts 3
    • Points 47

Thanks for adding the External Notifications so fast.

I'm having a problem getting it to work correctly though.  I'm not sure if the problem is with my code or XboxFriends.

I'm using the following config fo rexternal notification:

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 5
  • 07-24-2006 8:03 AM In reply to

How about an audible notification when friends sign in and out?  I like to know when certain friends are online, but I don't want to sit in front of my PC all night waiting for the friends list to change.  I could be sitting on my couch and hear the notification, THEN check my PC to see who came online.  This sounds like it wouldn't take too much time to implement.  Thanks.
  • 07-27-2006 3:36 PM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

Please try to use version 0.0.0.32+ for external HTTP notifications.  This version has been tested against a "live" website and should now be working as expected.
    Cory Smith aka DualBrain

• 07-27-2006 3:36 PM In reply to

• DualBrain
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2006
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Posts 271
    • Points 2,307

Regarding audible notification... Great idea and I'll add this to the list...

Cory Smith aka DualBrain

• Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
    XboxFriends is not, in no way, affiliated with Microsoft Corporation, MSN, Xbox or Xbox Live. This project is developed seperately from Microsoft and Xbox Live for the purposes of organizing games amongst your personal Xbox Live friends list and connecting you with other gamers. We will not purposefully share any personal information that you shared. Although every reasonable step is taken to protect your privacy, due to the nature of the internet, XboxFriends.com can not be held responsible for anything that may happen through the use of the XboxFriends desktop application or this website. -- Copyright (c)2004-2007, XboxFriends.com and Cory Smith. All rights reserved.